- This event has passed.
The Second Annual C. Boyden Gray Lecture on the Administrative State
March 31 @ 12:00 pm - 5:45 pm
Friday, March 31, 2023
The Mayflower Hotel
On Friday, March 31, the C. Boyden Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State hosted our Annual C. Boyden Gray Lecture on the Administrative State with keynote speaker Former Secretary of Labor Eugene Scalia. The lecture began with two panel discussions on the ‘Rule of Law’ in administrative law and Congress’s Power of the Purse. Panelists included leading litigators, distinguished academics, and former and current senior government officials.
Friday, March 31, 2023
All sessions held in The Mayflower, State Ballroom
12:00 – 1:00 PM Registration, The Mayflower, State Ballroom
1:00 – 1:10 PM Welcome & Introduction
– Adam White, Co-Executive Director, The C. Boyden Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State; Senior Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
1:10 – 2:25 PM Panel 1: What Is “The Rule of Law” in Administrative Law?
– Ronald A. Cass, Dean Emeritus, Boston University School of Law; President, Cass & Associates, PC; Distinguished Senior Fellow, The C. Boyden Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State
– Sally Katzen, Professor of Practice and Distinguished Scholar in Residence, NYU School of Law
– Noah J. Phillips, Partner, Carvath, Swaine & Moore LLP; Former Commissioner of the Federal Trade Commission
2:25 – 2:40 PM Break
2:40 – 3:55 PM Panel 2: Congress’s Power of the Purse in the Modern Administrative State
– Michael W. McConnell, Richard & Frances Mallery Professor of Law, Stanford Law School; Director, Stanford Constitutional Law Center; Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution
– Michael “Mick” Mulvaney, Former Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget; Former Acting White House Chief of Staff, Trump Administration; Former Acting Director, Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection; Co-Chair of Actum Global Advisers
3:55 – 4:10 PM Break
4:10 – 5:00 PM Gray Lecture: The Administrative State Debate: A View From the Secretary’s Office
– The Honorable Eugene Scalia, Former U.S. Secretary of Labor; Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
5:00 – 5:45 PM Reception, The Mayflower Chinese Room
Full Video Available Below: